Prohibited Steps Orders - applying or defending a PSO | Winston Solicitors UK Skip to main content

What is a Prohibited Steps Order?

A parent can apply to the Family Court for an order known as a Prohibited Steps Order to prevent the other parent who has parental responsibility taking action.

This might include:

  • To prevent the child associating with someone who has an adverse influence or is considered to be a danger to the child.
  • To prevent medical treatment.
  • To prevent the child from being permanently removed from the Country.
  • To prevent a change of surname.
For help with a prohibited steps order call 0113 320 5000

Who can apply for a Prohibited Steps Order?

Any parent, guardian or holder of a residence order in relation to a child can make an application for a Prohibited Steps Order. 

What we can do for you

Our family law team can supply sympathetic and robust legal advice to help you to achieve the best outcome for you and your child.

We can assist you and represent you in making an application to the Family Court for a Prohibited Steps Order. These applications are normally made on notice to the other party. However, an application can be made without notice in an emergency situation. The affect of the Prohibited Steps Order is to prevent the parent with parental responsibility or a third party from taking any step which is specified within the body of the order without the prior consent of the Court. The most common Prohibited Steps Orders are those forbidding a parent from removing a child permanently abroad, prohibiting contact with a specific person, a ruling for the child not to undergo certain medical procedure or to prevent the change of the child’s surname. Whether your application succeeds will depend on the circumstances presented to the Court and what the Court considers to be in the child’s best interest.

We also act and represent parents defending applications for Prohibited Steps Orders.

For fast, professional advice please call our family law team on 0113 320 5000
Contact Wendy today

This is an order in children proceedings that prevents a person from doing something i.e. Going abroad.

This is an order from the court setting out where children shall live and how they shall spend time with each parent.

Research tells us that arrangements agreed between the parties are much more likely to succeed if they are made by consent. However, where one parent does not agree to those arrangements you may need to try mediation, arbitration or ultimately court proceedings to help you sort these arrangements.

Yes it is likely you will need to go to court but there are special measures we can ask to put in place to protect you/

This is an injunction you can obtain from the family courts.