UK divorce guidelines | Winston Solicitors UK Skip to main content

Couples may marry abroad for a variety of different reasons. Either they are residents of the UK and choose to marry in a ceremony abroad or they were residents of another country at the time of marriage but now live in the UK.

Either way, people may still seek to get divorced in the UK regardless of where their marriage took place.

If I get married in a different country, will my marriage still be recognised in England?

More often than not the answer to this question will be yes. For a foreign marriage to be valid in the UK however it must have taken place in accordance with the local custom and law of the country where the marriage took place.

To discuss a UK divorce call 0774 703 1270

Can I divorce in England if I married abroad?

You can still obtain a divorce in England providing that certain criteria regarding domicile or habitual residence are satisfied.

English courts have jurisdiction to hear a divorce petition if either of the following applies:

A)   If it has jurisdiction under the European Union regulation known as Article 3 of Brussels II

Under Article 3 of Brussels II the English court has jurisdiction if, for the day that the petition is issued, any of the following applies:-

  1. Both you and your spouse are habitually resident in England and Wales.
  2. Both you and your spouse were last habitually resident in England and Wales and one of you still reside there.
  3. Your spouse is habitually resident in England and Wales.
  4. You are habitually resident in England and Wales and has resided here for a year.
  5. You are habitually resident in England and Wales and has resided here for 6 months and are domiciled in England and Wales.
  6. Both you and your spouse are domiciled in England and Wales.


B)   Alternatively, if no EU state (except Denmark) has jurisdiction under Brussels II on the sole domicile of one party.

Broadly speaking, this would usually mean that if both you and your spouse are living outside Europe and one of you are domiciled in England and Wales you can still issue a Divorce Petition in England.

Domicile and habitual residence are complex legal concepts and it is correct to say that many cases do depend entirely upon their own individual set of facts.

Call us on 0774 703 1270 for help with your divorce

Are there advantages if I choose to divorce abroad?

It can be more advantageous financially if you divorce in another country. England has been dubbed the “divorce capital of Europe” because of the wide ranging discretionary powers that the English court has and it is well known that the English courts can be very generous to wives who are pursuing financial claims.

If you are someone who is faced with a situation where you are able to divorce in more than one country you need specialist legal advice. Even if you are able to divorce in England therefore you do need to consider the other implications which might be involved in starting the divorce proceedings in England. 

For further legal advice about obtaining a divorce, including islamic divorces, or any other family matter speak to our specialist family team on 0774 703 1270

Email our family team for advice on divorce or khula
Contact Wendy today

A divorce takes a minimum of 30 weeks. This process can however be lengthier if there are financial matters to also resolve.

Yes you need your original marriage certificate and an official translation if this is not in English. You can usually obtain certified copies but you can apply to court to dispense with filing a marriage certificate in certain circumstances.

It is rare to have to attend court for a divorce particularly how it is now no longer possible to defend an application for divorce.

If your marriage was legally recognised in the country your marriage took place, you can commence a divorce in England if you are habitually resident or domiciled in England or Wales.